Ham Hocks, AKA Pork Knuckles, are slow cooked by the BBQ Pit Boys.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
As told by European Pitmaster Christian F. from our ALIEN-BBQ chapter in Horn-Bad Meinberg, NRW, Germany.
Pork Knuckles (ham hocks) – 4
Water – 1 quart
Salt – 1-2 Tablespoons
Beer – 6 oz.
Salt – 1 Tablespoon
Honey – 1- 2 Tablespoons
Sauerkraut – 2 - 10.6 oz cans of your favorite sauerkraut
Yellow onion – 1 medium to large
Green pepper – 1
Bacon – 6 slices-thick cut
Extra virgin olive oil – 1-2 Tablespoons
1. Combine water and salt
2. Inject each pork knuckle with brine in several places and refrigerate for 12-24 hours prior to cooking.
3. Bring smoker temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Fill water pan with water to add moisture.
5. Combine: beer, honey, and salt.
6. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
7. Be sure to maintain smoker at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Score skin side of each pork knuckle.
9. Place pork knuckles on smoker.
10. Cook knuckles for 1 hour.
11. Rotate knuckles after 1 hour for even cooking.
12. After 2 hours of cooking, baste each knuckle with beer baste.
13. Repeat basting every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours.
14. Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat on the grill.
15. Chop bacon into pieces.
16. Half onion and slice into thin pieces.
17. Clean green pepper and cut into thin strips lengthwise.
18. Add oil to hot pan.
19. Place bacon in pan and cook to a medium doneness.
20. Add onion and pepper slices.
21. Lightly sauté bacon, onion, and green pepper.
22. Remove from heat and place in a deep baking pan.
23. Add 2 cans of sauerkraut.
24. Mix thoroughly.
25. Knuckles have been in the smoker for approximately 4 hours.
26. Remove knuckles and place on top of the sauerkraut mix.
27. Place pan in smoker for 1 ½ - 2 hours.
28. After 5 ½ -6 hours total cook time, remove pan from smoker.
29. Use your knife to slice meat.
30. Leave meat/knuckles in pan for easy serving.
31. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!